Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Homemade Toothpaste


 Here is just another recipe in my all too consuming quest to become a self sufficient, frugal, homesteader. It all started with my Homemade Cleaning Solutions and I have been hooked ever since. It is going to take me a long time to be where I ideally want to live my life, but I am starting slowly and surely. Since there are so many different things out there to do that fall in all those categories, I have simply started with the things that I ran out of first. Toothpaste being one of them...





 

 I will still be experimenting with different recipes for a while, but after trying a couple, I decided I liked this one enough to make it a second time, so I figured it was probably worth posting about.

 
Homemade Toothpaste
 8 Tablespoons Baking Soda
4 Tablespoons coconut oil (warmed to a liquid)
2 teaspoons peppermint  oil
Organic Stevia- add according to taste. I only added like 1 1/2 packet to mine.

Mix all the ingredients together in a jar. Since my bathroom is super cold, it stays pretty solid, so I keep a spoon in there to scoop it up onto my toothbrush.


I wasn't quite used to the baking soda taste, but after a while it wasn't so bad. My teeth feel clean, and while my breathe isn't fire minty, it does feel and smell fresh. Its so nice knowing what exactly is in my toothpaste, and being able to pronounce and identify every ingredient :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment